As Jesus entered a village, ten lepers approached him. Keeping their distance, they called out, saying, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” When he saw them, he said to them, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were made clean.
- Can you name a time when someone you thought you knew surprised you by showing you a good quality of their character you weren’t aware they had?
- Have you ever been ill for an extended period?
- What or who was helpful to you as you recovered your health?
- God can often lead us to growth when we’re willing to leave our familiar and safe path. What keeps you from going in a new direction or exploring unfamiliar territory?
- Why do you think Jesus sends the ten men to the Temple, to show themselves to the priests?
Recovery of sight, healing in body, a spirit removed from someone in bondage; these are the things Jesus does with those he meets along the way. For healing to happen we have to be able to name the part of us that is in need of mercy, healing, and love. We can’t promise miracles, but we can promise a community where all of us know we need mercy, healing, and love; and we’re willing to name that as we look to Jesus to hear our prayers.
Come add your voice to ours this tonight at 6 pm at Trinity Commons, then stay to be fed thanks to our friends Steven and Laura Baker.